Sunday, December 13, 2009

Never Underestimate The Power of a Toy



The Guardian Angels of America Foundation (founded by Ms. Loi Herrera) held it's annual Toy Drive last December 10 and 11 which gave out thousands of toys to our sick and poor little brothers and sisters. Some of whom, never had a toy in their entire lives. I learned about this foundation through Dr. Philip Cruz, a fellow Pinoy.MD and MIND member (he is actually one of the founders of these orgs). He posted the itinerary for the 2 day-Toy Drive. I immediately said yes, with a very selfish reason: I was after the free toys.




Our first stop for day 1, was UP-PGH Pedia Wards 9 and 11. As the group (of more than 10) started giving out toys, I myself got a handful to give to the sick children. As I got a bunch, I saw this huge Mickey Mouse stuffed toy which I was already planning to "not give up". My aqueduct of toys was almost saturated (except for the big Mickey Mouse) so I just had to get some more. I then, gave them back, again to the children, still keeping my "eyes on the prize" the Mickey Mouse stuffed toy. For the 3rd time I went back to the box containing our stuffed toy when I realized that our 3-4 boxes of toys... depleted..

I was still holding the Mickey Mouse, tighly if I may add, when I came across Little Becky (not her real name) who is suffering from Acute Myeloid Leukemia and her mother, they were staring at the prized toy I was holding. Suddenly, there was this lightning that struck me, of sorts, and voices telling me, "The Toy is For Her". I didnt hesitate, I went straight to Little Becky and gave her the Mickey Mouse. Even with a flu mask on, I heard her "maaaraaamiingg salaaamaaat pooo" and squinting eyes as if she was smiling. Her mother also greeted me a joyous Christmas, I smiled and replied, and went on my way to follow the rest of the group who are about to leave the hospital. Suddenly, Little Becky's mother went running towards me and said "kuya ano po pangalan niyo?". "Macky po" ---- then the mother said with a smile on her face "Macky ang ipapangalan ng anak ko sa laruan niya". Then I realized, Christmas isn't about me getting free stuff... it's about them, about children and making other people happy.

Like what Dr. Philip Cruz said during the Appreciation Dinner at The Mabuhay Manor last night (will post an entry about this later)... "Never underestimate the power of a toy. Simple joys that brighten up people, not just children, their fathers and mothers who could have never had received a single toy in their entire life. This is what medicine and being a doctor is about. Treating a person physically, mentally and spiritually"


No comments:

Post a Comment